Thursday, January 23, 2014

First Blocks!

So, I have started the first blocks on my family samplers. I made two blocks for each quilt, and had started cutting the fabric for the third block which I had totally anticpated making this past weekend until I got the cold/sinus infection/upper respiratory problem from Hades. I could barely move this weekend. So, I only have 10 blocks for now, and hope to get back on track soon.

The first block I made was the Granny Square quilt, block #1.

For Mawmaw (my grandmother):


Mostly the tan and brown combo, with a little bit of navy blue and red thrown in. I love this color combo. 

For my SIL:


These are pretty much the exact colors I first brought together for her quilt. Teal, navy, aqua, lime green, with a little bit of purple. You can't tell it very well in the photo, but the center square has butterflies in it. 

For my mom (the 30's prints):


I'm not sure if I like this block yet or not. When I started working on her quilt, I didn't have many 30's prints, and this is what I made. Then I mentioned to her that I was thinking of making a quilt out of 30's prints, and she handed me a bag that had to contain at least 15 lbs. of fat quarters, some half yards, and random scraps of 30's fabrics! They are so much more varied and beautiful than what I started with, so I may remake this block. 

For me (blue and brown quilt):


This was the first block I made out of all of them, and it is my absolute favorite so far. I love the colors and the patterns. 

For the rainbow quilt:


I know this block looks kind of odd together, but as the layout of the quilt blocks makes the rainbow pattern, it works overall. 


I also made block #65, a basic take on the Road to California quilt block. 

For Mawmaw: 


I love the color of the blue in this one. 

For my SIL:


I must admit, the colors are quite as crazy looking in person as they ended up in this picture. 

For my mom: 


This is a better look at the 30's prints I originally had. I like this block better than the granny square, so I'll probably leave it unless it looks horribly out of place in the end. :) 

For me: 


Paisley patterns and I have a love-hate relationship. I use to hate them until my husband kept trying to get me to use them in more and more things and I made a quilt for his great Aunt out of a red and gold paisley pattern. They are definitely growing on me, and I love them in this block. 

For the rainbow:


A block of blues! 

Well, that's 10 blocks down, 350 to go! Did I mention I was crazy?









No comments:

Post a Comment