Monday, January 27, 2014

Starburst

Inbetween all the sampler blocks, I also have three other quilts in various stages of completion. The first one is a baby quilt my mother-in-law requested for one of her good friend's new granddaughter. The only parameters she gave me were that she liked classic patterns, stars, and the quilt needed to be purple and green.

While I was in Louisiana visiting family over the holidays, my mom, aunt, two cousins and myself went to the local quilt shop there (my family can never do anything without at least 4 people being loud and having fun anywhere we go). I found some fat quarters of some lovely purple and green batiks. I'm not usually one for batiks, in fact I had never even purchased any let alone used some in any project before, but I felt drawn to these colors and fabrics. I decided to purchae them knowing I would need them for the baby quilt. Once we got home, I got down to designing the quilt. I use MS Publisher (oldschool), and came up with this pattern:


It's my take on a lone star block/pattern. I love that it's traditional enough, but still vibrant and cheerful, perfect for a baby girl. I haven't decided yet on what background I want, it's between the white shown above or the purple: 


or the green:


I'm leaning towards green but the purple is very pretty too. I guess I'll see which one's my favorite once I've finished the star. 



No comments:

Post a Comment