Friday, March 21, 2014

Back At It

Well the last few weeks have been horrible on the sewing front. Between craziness at work and our whole family being sick, I haven't had much energy/time to do any sewing. Last night I finally got back on track. 

For the starburst quilt, I sewed the borders into strips so I can attach it to the main body. This weekend I'm going to get my mom to help me pin and sew the borders on. Since I just hand stitched the star down, it's not perfectly square, so two sets of hands measuring and pinning will hopefully make it come out right. Here is what the border will look like once it's on:


After that I just need to add a thick solid purple border then I can quilt it. I am still unsure about how to quilt it. I've gone back and forth on quite a few different designs and nothing has stood out yet. Still have some time on that though. 

The other thing I worked on is a quilt that I started back in November of last year. It was requested by my husband to go on our bed. It is a take on a pattern I saw in one of my magazines. The original one had navy and ivory blocks, but I expanded my palette a bit and included more tans and different hues of blue. I also used linen for the rail fence blocks, for a different texture and a bit more weight to the quilt. The blues I pulled from my stash, various quilt shops, and even stole some from my grandmother :).

 In all it has 20 different kinds of blue fabric. I had to cut 4 quarter square triangles per block, with 178 blocks in total. I think it took me almost two months to cut out all those triangles. Now I am piecing the blocks together, and then will sew them into rows like this:

I'm slowly making progress on these blocks. I have 47 done, so only 131 left!


No comments:

Post a Comment